Residence Certificate is a document that proves a person is a permanent resident of a country, a state, a city, a town or a village. This is an important document that acts as address proof for the Indian Citizens. To avail reservation benefits or quotas in government jobs and to get admission in an educational institute, it is necessary to show residence proof. The certificate states that a person belongs to a particular city or a state.
Permanent residence certificate is proof that a citizen is a permanent citizen of a country or a state. It is proof that the resident of the state has lived in the same state for a particular period of time. It is a kind of domicile certificate. Residence proof should be kept safe and updated by the citizens to avail the benefits and schemes provided by the government. It is a legal document to prove the citizen is a permanent resident of a place.
Check the details related to residence certificate such as its uses, eligibility, how to get residence proof, format, documents required to apply, etc.
Students can find more about certificates, explore the types used for academic purposes, professional purposes and more.
What is the use of Residence Certificate?
Residence certificate is used for many purposes. It plays an important role in Indian Citizen life. Let us see what are the uses of this document:
- To get admission in the government based colleges or universities or any educational institution.
- To get jobs in the public sector
- To get the respective state’s ration card
- To avail the benefits and schemes offered by different states
- To get scholarships provided by respective states
Residence Certificate Eligibility Criteria
Before applying for a residence certificate, a candidate has to make sure that they are eligible to apply for it. Usually, every state declares that the citizens who live in a state for more than 6 years are eligible to apply for a residence certificate. Candidates who have lived in a state for a particular period of time (in years), will not be eligible to get the residence certificate.
How to Get the Residence Certificate Online?
To get the residence certificate candidates to have to apply for it in the respective state portals. Follow the below steps to apply for the certificate.
- Go to the official portal of the state government
- Register yourself by entering your name, valid mail id, and valid phone number
- Now login to the portal with your email id and password provided by the respective state portal
- Click on the link mentioned for Apply for Residence Certificate
- An application form will appear on the screen
- Fill the application form with accurate details (Full name, Father’s Name, Gender, Residential address, reason to apply, ration card no.,)
- Check the details and submit it
- Now upload the required scanned documents in the respective fields
- Submit the application form
- An acknowledgment slip will be generated with your application number
- Download the slip and take a print out of it
- An SMS and a mail for the confirmation of submission of the application form will be sent to you
- Candidate can also check the status of the application by login into the official portal with respective credentials.
- Within 30 days Domicile or Resident Certificate will be issued by the concerned authority.
Residence Certificate Documents Required
The documents required to apply for residence certificate is given below:
- Photocopy of the Leaving Certificate
- Residential proof
- Ration card,
- Voter ID,
- House tax,
- Tax receipt,
- Documents of the property (land, house, ) owned by the applicant’s parents or guardian.
- Birth Certificate
- Aadhar card
- Father’s domicile certificate (if applicant’s age is below 18 years)
Validity of Residence Certificate
The permanent residence certificate is valid for lifetime. Once the applicants have received the residence proof from the state government authority, it will be eligible for the whole of the life. The citizen can use the document as much as possible as they can without any restrictions unless they move to another state.
The residence certificate issued for any specific purpose is valid for 1 to 5 years based on the state rules and regulations.
States Offering Permanent Residence Certificate
Here is the list of names of the states that issues the permanent residence certificate.
- Arunachal Pradesh
- Jammu & Kashmir
Residence Certificate Format
Here is the format of the state government format of residence certificate.
|National Emblem Logo|
Government of [name of the state]
Office of Sub Divisional Officer
[Name of the state]
Memo no.: …………… Dated: …………………………..
This is to certify that Shri/Smt. ____________S/o/D/o/W/o of Shri/Late _____________ residing at Village _____________, P.O. _________, P.S. _____________, [City name], [District name], [Pincode], is a permanent resident of aforesaid address.
This is being issued as prayer for by him in his application date ___________ and shall be treated as valid for purpose of _______________.
Date: Sub Divisional Officer
Frequently Asked Questions on Residence Certificate
What is residence certificate?
Residence Certificate is a document that proves a person is a permanent resident of a country, a state, a city, a town or a village. This is an important document that acts as address proof for the Indian Citizens.
What is the use of the residence certificate?
Residence certificate is an important document that acts as address proof for the Indian Citizens. It is used to avail reservation benefits or quotas in government jobs and to get admission in an educational institute. Also, to avail the benefits and schemes offered by different states.
Who issues the residential certificate?
The residence certificate is issued by the state government authorities such as sub-divisional officer, Taluk, etc.
How to apply for a residence certificate?
To apply for a residential certificate, go to the respective state government official portal. Register yourself by providing a valid email address and mobile number. Login with registered credentials and click on the link given for residence certificate. Fill the application form. Upload the required documents. Pay the fees through online mode as per mentioned by the concerned state government. Submit the form. Take the print out of the application and keep for reference.
What is the validity of residence certificate?
The residence certificate issued for a specific purpose is valid from 1 to 5 years as per regulated by the state government.
What documents are required to get residence certificate?
Address Proof, Birth Certificate, Aadhaar card, PAN card, Ration card, etc.