What is the Definition of an Equivalent Decimal
Decimals are a type of fractional number. The decimal 0.2 represents the fraction . We know is equivalent to , since times of is .
Therefore, the decimal 0.2 is equivalent to or or or etc.
Observe the following diagrammatic representation:
All these three decimals i.e., 0.2, 0.20, and 0.200, have the same value and so they are called equivalent decimals.
Example 1: Give next two decimal numbers in the sequence:
(a) 1.32, 1.42, 1.52, …, …
(b) 1.14,1.25, 1.36, …, …
Writing or removing zeros at the end of the decimal does not change its value.
0. 5 =0.50 = 0.500
= 0.5000 = 0.50000
6.2 = 6.20 = 6.200
= 6.2000 = 6.2000
Example 2: Write the number name for 207.652.
Solution: 207.652 = Two hundred seven point six five two
Example 3: Write the decimal fraction 35.439 in expanded form.
Read More About:
- What is the meaning of Place Value and Face Value in Maths?
- What is the Place Value Chart of an Indian and International System?
- What is a Decimal Value and Place Value of Decimals?
- How do you Round to the Nearest Ten Thousand
- Converting To and From Scientific Notation
- What is the Difference between Ascending and Descending Order
- Addition and Subtraction of Decimals
- How do you Multiply and Divide Decimals?
- How do you Convert Fractions into Decimals and Vice Versa
- How do you Convert Unlike Decimals into Like Decimals