Virtual Reality Advantages And Disadvantages: Today we live in a world that is already developing so much in the technological field that people cannot survive now without it. Whether it has been entertainment or education, the use of technology has increased to a much extent. Now a new form of technology that has evolved in the past few years is virtual reality. ‘Virtual’ refers to something which is not real but has its essence of it.
Virtual reality refers to the stipulated experience gained which can be similar to a real-life experience or a different world. Many games have been invented that help people to enjoy the virtual world. In the same way, the education world has also reached a level where various lectures have been given with the help of virtual reality technology.
Students can also find more Advantages and Disadvantages articles on events, persons, sports, technology, and many more.
What is Virtual Reality (VR)? What are the Advantages and Disadvantages of VR?
Virtual reality refers to the use of a computer that creates an environment for the user that appears to be real so that the user can feel immersed in the surroundings. With the help of a headset or helmet, a user can work on the virtual reality system. The environment provided is 3-D and the user controls the environment according to his/her need. Virtual reality is a boon in the field of education and entertainment. In the field of education, it has made a revolution as it has become easy to explore and understand the topic or subject. In media also virtual reality has made a great transition.
- Advantages of Virtual Reality
- Disadvantages of Virtual Reality
- Comparison Table for Advantages and Disadvantages of Virtual Reality
- FAQs on Pros and Cons of Virtual Reality
Listed below are a few advantages of Virtual reality.
- Virtual reality helps in exploring places without actually being there: Virtual reality refers to the imaginary environment made with the help of technology with an essence of reality. It helps therefore to explore various places without even going to that place. This has made the life of people much easier and more entertaining. The fact that one has not got enough money to explore everything has made possible the entrance of virtual reality.
- The education system has been improved: The old text-based learning has now been replaced by virtual study in which a teacher teaches the student with the help of virtual reality equipment. This equipment allows the user to see the imaginary environment based on the topic and analyze the study.
- It creates a realistic world: Virtual reality creates an imaginary world for the user based on the topics to study or for entertainment. Although the Virtual Reality created is imaginary, it seems to the user as if it is an actual real world. Therefore help them to have a better experience of the current reality although everything may be unreal.
- Help in providing training: A lot of people who are not skilled in different fields of work can get training in the virtual environment. E.g., engineering requires practical knowledge therefore for the application of knowledge virtual reality technology can be used.
- Lowest risk: Virtual reality is an imaginary world created by the developer to study or make people experience different realities of life. Therefore the risk involved in experiencing the knowledge gathered through books is almost low. Low risk does not imply that total risk is zero but its consequences can be different for different people depending on their mental ability.
- Increases interest and engagement toward a subject: Virtual Reality is a platform to undergo the situation that a person has studied in their textbooks. Practical knowledge is more interesting and exciting as compared to monotonous book reading therefore a lot of engagement towards the subject has been seen in the case of virtual reality or Virtual Reality training.
- Cost-effective: Only at the time of installation of Virtual Reality technology do expenses occur but after that, the maintenance and cost per person become almost low thus it is cost-effective.
Let us briefly discuss the disadvantages of virtual reality.
- Implementation is expensive: Implementation of Virtual Reality is an expensive procedure. The technology and equipment used in Virtual Reality are costly and therefore only a few could afford such technology. The initial installation of such a kind of machinery, therefore, is costly.
- Only develop technical skills no interaction is there: The experience gained in Virtual Reality is based on a pre-recorded environment and therefore although technical skill is developed there is no place for interaction with a tutor. Therefore doubts of the learner remain there till any other person who is also skilled provides the knowledge of the same.
- Technology is complex: Virtual Reality technology has to be learned to gain skills and it is not easy for everyone to understand the technology for how to use therefore training is required to learn the complex technology.
- Addiction to Virtual Reality: Many a time it has been seen that teenagers and a few adults become addicted to Virtual Reality and get affected physiologically. The addiction, therefore, leads to various issues and teenagers also will not study their regular studies and would always be interested in playing games.
- Impact on the real human body: Many people using Virtual Reality have many physical problems like eye strain, dizziness, and nausea issues. This is because of the illusion made by Virtual Reality.
- Not engaged in the real world: As people become addicted to Virtual Reality they don’t want to engage themselves with the real world. The virtual world becomes their actual world and they don’t want to deal with the real world.
- Psychological damage: As people become addicted to Virtual Reality they also get impacted psychologically and therefore humans are recommended to avoid using Virtual Reality for long period.
Below is the table showing the advantages and disadvantages of Virtual reality
|Advantages of Virtual reality||Disadvantages of Virtual reality|
|Virtual reality helps in exploring places without actually being there||Implementation is expensive|
|The education system has been improved||Only develop technical skills no interaction is there|
|It creates a realistic world||Technology is complex|
|Help in providing training||Addiction to Virtual Reality|
|Lowest risk||Impact on the real human body|
|Increases interest and engagement toward a subject||Not engaged in the real world|
What are the different risks of Virtual reality?
There are mainly 4 major risks of virtual reality they are:
- Eye strain
- Radiation exposure
What are the three types of Virtual reality?
There are mainly three types of Virtual reality they are:
- Non-immersive simulation
- Partially-immersive simulation
- Fully- Immersive simulation