Rainwater Harvesting Essay: Water scarcity has been the greatest worry of the century for many countries in the world. It is predicted that the next World War will be fought for water. Given the importance of water to sustain the population and economic growth across different countries, governments around the world are coming up with innovative solutions to save water.
In this rainwater harvesting essay, we shall be talking about the innovative ways that rainwater harvesting will help us save water. We shall also be talking about examples of rainwater harvesting in different countries which has overcome the scarcity of water completely.
You can read more Essay Writing about articles, events, people, sports, technology many more.
Long and Short Essay on Rainwater Harvesting for students and Kids in English
If you are searching for a well-written, informative and comprehensive rainwater harvesting essay in English then this article will help you find it. Below we have provided a 600-word rainwater harvesting essay and also a 200-word short rainwater harvesting essay for school students to use in their essay writing competition, exams tests and holiday homework.
Long Essay on Rainwater Harvesting 600 Words in English
Rainwater harvesting is a technique in which we help the water seep into the groundwater table through open lands and porous soil. One of the main advantages of rainwater harvesting is that it increases the level of the water table below our ground. Other than increasing the level of water in the water table, rainwater harvesting has various other advantages which are discussed below.
What are the advantages of rainwater harvesting?
The following are the main advantages of rainwater harvesting:
1. Rainwater harvesting helps in maintaining a healthy balance in the water cycle of our ecology. A water cycle in our ecosystem is a cycle in which the water from the surface of oceans, river and other water bodies evaporate and condense to form clouds in the atmosphere. These clouds after accumulating enough moisture burst out to have a rainbow pour on land and water bodies. Evaporation and condensation are the two main processes in our water cycle. Due to irresponsible usage of water by human beings this water cycle in the ecosystem is being affected and rainwater harvesting is found to be an innovative solution to restore balance to this water cycle.
2. When there is a heavy rain pour in a patch of land where there would be no space for the rain to percolate into the ground, it can cause floods in that region. Places like Cherrapunji and Agumbe are considered to be the places in Indi that receive the heaviest rainfall throughout the year. It becomes of utmost importance to practice the method of rainwater harvesting in such places. If not practiced properly, the rainwater will start accumulating on the ground and eventually lead to floods causing heavy damage to life and property.
3. Another importance of rainwater harvesting is that it reduces our dependency on river water. Rivers such as Kaveri, Krishna, Ganga, and the Yamuna have been over-exploited by human beings for industrial and domestic purposes. This overexploitation of our water bodies as cast negative effects on the aquatic life in the country. Also, there has been enormous pollution witnessed in oceans and seas of the world which is in turn affecting aquatic life in that region.
If rainwater harvesting is practiced properly then our dependence on river water will reduce and nature will start healing eventually. Now that we have spoken about the importance of rainwater in this rainwater harvesting essay we shall also be talking about the various challenges in practicing this method.
What are the challenges faced in rainwater harvesting?
Practicing rainwater harvesting is easier said than done. Because rainwater harvesting will only be successful if everyone in the country follows it. Robust policies and laws should be in place to make rainwater harvesting compulsory in residential and commercial places. Most of the water from rivers and lakes are used for industrial and agricultural purposes and hence it is only logical to hold industries and the agriculture sector in whole accountable for the irresponsible use of freshwater.
Factories and industrial owners should practice rainwater harvesting compulsory at their premises. But imposing the practice of rainwater harvesting on farmers is quite difficult given the additional financial burden in following this practice. Hence, the government should incentivize farmers to practice rainwater harvesting and educate them about the uses of rainwater harvesting in cultivating the land. In fact, rainwater harvesting will make farmers less dependent on rivers, lakes and canals as well as eliminate the risk of unpredictable climatic conditions.
I would like to conclude by saying that rainwater harvesting is the only viable solution we have in order to prevent complete draught in the world. Rainwater harvesting can be easily practised by rich industrial corporations but it would be difficult for regular citizens and farmers of the country to practice. The government and the international community should address the challenges in rainwater harvesting to make this world a better place.
Short Essay on Rainwater Harvesting 200 Words in English
Rainwater harvesting is a simple technique in which we allow the rainwater to percolate through the open ground into the water table. It requires very fewer efforts for people to practice rainwater harvesting at their houses but has great impacts on our ecosystem and environment. If rainwater harvesting is not practiced well, then our cities and villages will forever be dependent on the limited freshwater capacity of the earth. We should remember that only 3% of the water on Earth is made up of freshwater. If we don’t follow innovative practices for saving the water, then there would be no water for our future generation to survive and grow.
Rainwater harvesting cannot be implemented overnight by all the people in the country. It is a gradual process that requires efforts from governments and civil society members. Not everyone in the country will understand the importance of rainwater harvesting and hence there should be educational and awareness campaigns in rural parts of the country as well as education institutes to bring about the required awareness about the uses of rainwater harvesting.
I would like to conclude by saying that rainwater harvesting is the best-known practice for a man to save water. Creating concrete jungles might help in economic development but will result in environmental degradation and hence a patch of land should be kept open within the concrete jungle so that the rainwater will have space to percolate into the groundwater table.
- Rainwater harvesting will help us save water.
- It is predicted that the next World War will be fought for water.
- Rainwater harvesting will help in preventing floods.
- Rainwater harvesting will reduce the stress on our rivers and lakes.
- This method will help aquatic life from getting polluted and depleted.
- Strict laws should be in place to help implement rainwater harvesting on all levels.
- Rainwater harvesting will maintain a healthy water cycle in our ecosystem.
- Industries and agricultural sector use the most amounts of freshwater.
- Proper awareness campaigns should be conducted to educate the general public about rainwater harvesting.
- Rainwater harvesting will help in increasing the level of water in the water table below the ground.
FAQ’s on Rainwater Harvesting Essay
What is rainwater harvesting?
It is a method in which we allow rainwater to percolate into the ground through porous soil into the water table.
Which country has immense draught problems?
African countries such as Sudan and Kenya have extreme drought problems.
Should rainwater harvesting be made compulsory?
Rainwater harvesting should be made compulsory for companies and factories.
What are the two methods of rainwater harvesting?
Surface runoff and rooftop rainwater harvesting are the two methods of rainwater harvesting Water scarcity has been the greatest worry of the century for many countries in the world. It is predicted that the next World War will be fought for water. Given the importance of water to sustain the population and economic growth across different countries, governments around the world are coming up with innovative solutions to save water.