Oersted Experiment on Magnetic Effect of Current
Arrangement : A straight wire AB is connected to a battery V and key K. The wire is held horizontally over a magnetic needle.
Working : When key is closed, current flows in the wire in the direction as shown. The needle deflects one side. When key is taken out and current in wire becomes zero, needle returns back to its initial position (S – N). This shows that a magnetic field is associated with an electric current.
When direction of current in wire is reversed, direction of deflection of needle is also reversed. If direction of current be kept same and wire be put under the needle, direction of deflection of needle again becomes reversed.
People also ask
- Who discovered the magnet?
- How does a magnet work?
- What are the Different Types of Magnets?
- Is an electromagnet a temporary or a permanent magnet?
- What is the use of magnet?
- How does an electric bell work using electromagnets?
- What is the Magnetic Field?
- Factors Affecting the Magnitude of the Force on a Current-carrying Conductor
- What is magnetic force on a current carrying conductor?
- What factors affect the strength of an electromagnet?
- How does a current carrying conductor produces a magnetic field?
- What Is Magnetic Effect Of Electric Current?
- How do you Determine the Direction of the Magnetic Field?
- What is the Meaning of Magnetic Force?