Letter to the Editor: Writing letters to the editor is a great way to engage with a topic you’re passionate about and to influence public opinion in a focused professional and original way.
Looking for an easy way to Learning of English Grammar Exercises for Class 10 ICSE. You have to learn basic English Grammer topics like Tenses Verbs, Nouns, etc… In this article, we will review the best English Grammer Topics and compare them against each other.
Letter to the Editor Class 10 ICSE Format, Examples, Topics, Samples, Exercises
Keep the following in mind:
- Though you are placing your point, always make sure that the tone of your letter should not read as aggressive, rude or impolite.
- Point out relevant details and if possible even minute details so that your concern is highlighted through your letter.
- Always specify the solution/action (to be taken) you are looking forward too. Never leave it as open ended letter. Clearly state what you want as resolution.
- Make sure you proofread your letter before closing it.
- Don’t become repetitive while writing the issue/problem being faced.
- Usage of simple language is best, as it will eliminate any chances of miscommunication to the reader.
- Avoid using big words or jargon to create impact or impress your reader.
Sample Letter 1
203, Balkrishna Apartments
22nd October, 20XX
Subject: Condition of performing Animals in the City
Most circuses and traveling shows use wild animals and keep them for months in cramped transport cages. The animals have no opportunity to move or behave in a natural way. Circuses and traveling shows with wild animals also pose a risk to human safety. Numerous circus employees have been reported to serious injuries or killed by performing animals and circus audience members have been injured when handlers have lost control of their animals. Many performing animals are large, potentially dangerous species that even zoos don’t handle. But when they perform in circuses and traveling shows, they often do so without adequate protection for staff and audience members.
Our community should not condone cruelty to animals by allowing performing animal acts to visit, nor should we wait for someone to be injured or killed before we decide to act in the interest of human safety. The government should consider a prohibition on wild animal acts as soon as possible.
Sample Letter 2
11, Babar Road
Subject: Noise pollution in the city
Increasing number of vehicles on the roads, rising growth of factories, construction work, loudspeakers used on various occasions, rock and pop music, etc. are various factors responsible for causing noise pollution. Noise control laws are being openly violated.
It is the time that the authorities should awake against the danger of noise pollution. They should strictly enforce the noise control laws. The use of loudspeaker should be stopped after specific time. Above all, public needs to be aware and cooperative against the danger of noise pollution because without public cooperation authorities cannot make much difference.
It is earnestly hoped that concerned authorities will take immediate and urgent necessary action to relieve the people from the harmful effects of noise pollution.
Suggested Outlines of Letter to Editor
1. Write a letter to the Editor of your city newspaper bringing to his notice the delay by the Passport Office in issuing your passport.
- Give details of date of application and date of police verification.
- Indicate the number of times you personally contacted the office and what reply was given to you.
- What is the normal prescribed time for issuance of passport.
2. Shooting of movies in central location of the city holds up traffic and causes great inconvenience to office people and commuters. Write a letter to the editor of the newspaper highlighting the problem and suggesting that film shoots take place in city outskirts.
- Write about the specific movie which was being shot in your city and the problems you faced because of that.
- Highlight the reasons for inconvenience to general public.
- Give suggestions on how this issue can be tackled.
3. Write a letter to the editor of a local newspaper about a bad piece of road that is in need of repair.
- Indicate the stretch of road that needs repairs.
- Since when is the road damaged and what are the reasons for damage.
- How residents have contacted municipal authorities but no action has been taken.
4. Write a letter to the editor of a newspaper about the monkey menace in your locality.
- Give a brief description of the havoc being caused by monkeys including attacks on residents and children.
- In spite of promises from authorities no action has been taken.
- Suggest some ways to curb this menace.
5. There is an orphanage near your home which is neglected and in a bad condition. Write a letter to the editor of a newspaper throwing light on the poor conditions and the need to help the orphanage.
- Indicate the poor condition of children in the orphanage.
- Highlight the lack of basic amenities in the orphanage.
- Tell about the poor management.
- Show that help from Government and Private individuals is required to save the orphanage.