How To Conclude An Essay: A conclusion is written at the end of an essay. Hence, it essential to know what to write in an essay before we move on to the conclusion. The subject of the essay dictates the type of essay it is. There are multiple classifications of essays like comparative, formal, informal, persuasive, critical thinking, definition, descriptive, etc. Hence, it is crucial to understand the subject of the article to categorize it correctly. No matter which category it belongs to, all essays have
- An introduction
- A minimum of two body paragraphs
- A conclusion
Any good piece can be written after much research on the topic. You can first sit down with a blank piece of paper and brainstorm all the points that you know about the topic. Get a rough idea about what you know through your brainstorming. When you have finished this step, you can determine if it is enough to go on or if you require any more information to complete your essay. In most cases, you will be required to find out much more about the topic before you commence writing. Find out the factual errors from your brainstorming if any, and correct them. It is always advised to make sure that the facts you provide are one hundred percent correct.
You can read more Essay Writing about articles, events, people, sports, technology many more.
You can then make a list of more information that you have collected and then add it to the brainstorming content to make a rough draft of your article. This outline will guide you to rectify any positional errors. It will also help you to arrange the pieces of information as required. Hence, it is clear how vital making an outline is when it comes to writing.
If the task at hand seems daunting, you can motivate yourself by promising yourself a reward once you begin writing. This will encourage you to complete the writing in no time. You can also use this technique in other aspects you find challenging.
Once you are finished with the draft, you can systematically begin writing the essay. It is best to concentrate on the subject before writing. Try to calm yourself down and think about only the theme to optimize your efficiency.
All these points will help you to finish writing the essay in minimum time. Now, it is time to discuss how to write a conclusion. We will be discussing the types of conclusions and the steps to writing a satisfactory conclusion.
How To Write The Conclusion of an Essay?
After writing the essay, it is time to conclude it. The conclusion is one of the essential paragraphs in an essay. A reasonable conclusion does not merely summarize the previously stated facts, it also
- Makes connections that tie together the main points of the article
- Shows why your analysis or reasoning is valid and why it matters
- Leaves the space for the readers to evaluate the subject themselves.
- Intrigues the curiosity of the readers to know more about the topic.
Types Of Conclusions
There are many types of conclusions that can be applied. You have to identify which kind to use for your essay. First, let us talk about a few conclusions which you should not write. These conclusions have been used millions of times by every writer and hence is a tedious method.
- Restating The Thesis: In this kind of conclusion, the writer restates and highlights the main points of the essay. Since your readers have just read the essay, they might lose interest if you restate the critical facts. People write this kind of essay when they cannot think of anything new to add. A conclusion is to be written in such a way that it creates a lasting impression on your readers. Hence, it is best if you avoid this.
- Let Them Guess: Sometimes writers like to mention the thesis of the essay at the conclusion instead of at the beginning with the introduction. Some might think that this creates a mysterious feel to your topic, and the readers will be intrigued to stick till the end and find out what it is, but it may backfire. It can be used only in certain situations and in certain kinds of essays effectively. It can be used to write personal essays or when you are writing a story. But in general, this format does not support most of the essays we write. Suppose you are writing an informative essay and you fail to mention what information you are trying to convey at the beginning. You can seem to lack self-confidence if you try this. Hence use this method wisely.
- Emotional Conclusion: In this kind of conclusion, the writer tries to draw the attention of the readers by appealing to their emotions. While your sentimentality may be heartfelt, it might seem out of character with the rest of the paper. For example, if you are writing an analytical and factual essay with a formal tone, it is best not to change your tone suddenly and act on your emotions. The conclusion written should match with the rest of the essay altogether. A conclusion should be the perfect complement to your essay.
- Extra Information: In this type, the writer tends to fit extra information that they could not fit the body paragraphs of the conclusion. It might be tempting to fit somehow the pieces of information which you discovered after hours of research. But, you should avoid it because it can confuse the readers. Some information might be unnecessary, and it is best to leave them out, no matter how tempting it may seem, to include them.
Now let us talk about what conclusions are the standard. In these conclusions, you have to talk more in-depth about your subject. It would be best if you had more profound knowledge about your topic. In these conclusions, you can hint about the innuendos of the subject. A few types of conclusions which are a bit different but effective are
- Linking: In this technique, you can mention portions of the passage and give the readers the top picks of the essay. It will be easy to connect with the selected pieces of information and can give the story closure for the readers. It is like the last pieces of a puzzle the readers can connect to and conclude the story. You can use straightforward language to create your conclusion. A simple structure can often hide inner meanings that the readers can feel.
- Redefinition: In this method, you can twist your conclusion by redefining a key term or phrase frequently used in the passage and looking at it in a different light. This will leave your readers intrigued and will again to connect with the new definition. It will give your piece a new light that will excite the readers.
- Quoting: Quoting is a commonly selected method for both the introduction and the conclusion in an essay. You can add a relevant quote and let the audience connect why the quote has such significance with your article. This will help the readers to connect with a quote and the essay. Make sure that you use a quote by a person whom you admire.
How To Conclude An Essay
- Write the essay in a progressive manner such that there is no need to highlight the obvious.
- It is best to avoid phrases like ‘in conclusion’ since there is no need to tell your readers where your essay will end.
- If you are writing on a debatable topic, refrain from apologizing to the readers. It makes you sound unconfident.
- It is best not to undermine your essay by saying that it is one approach among many.
- There can be doubts, but it is best to keep up a confident front. The approach will make your readers want to believe you and your thoughts.
- You can emphasize the significance of the thesis in your conclusion.
- Tell the readers why they should feel the need to connect with your topic.
- If any main features have a special connection to any other pieces, you can add it in the conclusion.
- You can provide a hook sentence or question which can intrigue the readers and encourage them to find more about the topic.
FAQ’s On How To Conclude An Essay
What are the main parts of a conclusion essay?
There are three main parts of a conclusion essay.
- You should rewrite the central premise or the thesis statement mentioned at the introduction of your essay. You can also mention the thesis statement in different parts of the body paragraph.
- You can include a couple of general sentences that can summarize the arguments that are provided in the body. They should always support your thesis statement.
- You can add a list of outcomes that will follow if the points you have mentioned in your essay are not followed. Tell the readers how they can benefit through following your tips.
If you experience writer’s block while writing your conclusion, it is best to paraphrase your thesis statement and adding a powerful hook sentence to create an unforgettable impression.
What are the strategies to write an effective and powerful conclusion?
If you experience writer’s block while writing the conclusion, you can ask yourself why the readers should follow your lead. Why should they do as they are told? Think about this and write your answer. This tip will help you to write a powerful conclusion.
You can also choose to complete a full circle and return to the theme or thesis statement of your essay. It is best not to summarise the entire article only. You should preferably add more vivid imagery to make a powerful impact on your readers.