How many Years for PhD after Masters in the USA?: Majority of the people consider studying masters in USA for the academic standards the country offers. Pursuing PhD in USA will make you remarkably expert in the subject you have chosen. There is no denial in the fact that Pursuing PhD after Masters in United States is a dream come true moment for students and the exciting chapter it opens up.
If you are willing to do that and has got questions related to how long does it take to complete PhD after masters in USA,eligibility criteria, job opportunities and tips to keep in mind this article is for you.
How long does it take to study a PhD after Masters in USA?
Total duration to pursue PhD in USA can greatly vary based on how the students do it i.e. full time or part time. For a student pursuing PhD after masters in relevant subject can take up from 4-5 years. On the other hand,for a part time student to finish PhD it can take up 8 -10 years. If you are a fill time student it might take upto 5-6 years.
How to Apply for PhD after Masters in USA?
Before applying for your dream university in USA to pursue PhD follow the simple application process carefully. This ensures you apply in the right way and your application is submitted correctly. The procedure is listed in the below manner
- First and foremost step to do is fill up the application form of the university your are applying and then submit it.
- In addition, you are required to provide a personal statement stating why you chose the particular subject along with your research interests and career goals.
- Also mention the references as universities expect them from you.
- Submit the GRE or GMAT test scores. If your native language is not English then you need to submit the scores in exams like TOEFL or IELTS proving your efficiency.
- Make sure to submit the sample work you have done in the subject chosen. You may even be asked to do a sample task during the process.
- Pay the required application fee.
When should I begin applying for PhD after Masters in USA?
You should start applying for the American Universities before the application deadlines. Usually, most of the universities take their applications between December to February. You might receive status of application by April. Apply as early as you can so that both you and the university has ample time to make the necessary arrangements.
If you are interested in knowing about pros and cons of various topics feel free to reach out to the link and resolve your doubts.
Reasons Why Students Choose Studying Ph.D. in USA
There are plenty of reasons why students choose studying PhD in the United States and we have outlined some of them for your knowledge. They are explained clearly below
- Course Length: Course duration is one factor that most of the students go for PhD in USA. It takes around 4-8 years for full time candidates and about 8-10 years for part time students to finish their PhD. Longer duration gives them great opportunities and helps to adjust according to the course. In fact, they can learn the subject at a relaxed pace.
- International Community: People from all over the world come to USA for PhD studies. No matter the university and subject you chose it is a welcoming place for students from diverse cultural backgrounds.
- World Class Universities: Number of universities that meet the world wide ratings are equally high. It is a great factor for educational expertise and make sure to do your part of research before joining the universities.
- Affordable Tuition Fees: The tuition fee options available are also too diverse and you can afford them. Although american universities are claimed to be expensive there are some of them that are within the budget as well. This is the prime reason most of the students opt for american universities.
- Land of Opportunities: Student life in USA is not so difficult and you can get ample opportunities irrespective of what you are expecting from your PhD.
- Student Support: US Universities provide the support needed in your PhD journey right from counselling, career support, academic advise, libraries. This support will foster the personal and professional development in right time.
Top 10 Ranked American Universities to Pursue PhD after Masters
Below is a list of some of the top universities where students can fulfill their dream of doing PhD after master’s. They are are given based on extensive research and as per 2023 worldwide rankings.
- Harvard University
- Stanford University
- Massachusetts Institute of Technology
- California Institute of Technology
- Princeton University
- University of California, Berkeley
- Yale University
- Columbia University
- University of Chicago
- University of Pennsylvania
Look at the Smart & Actionable Long Term Goals for College Students and keep in mind the tips to achieve them without fail.
FAQs on How many years for PhD after Masters in USA
1. Will my PhD be shorter if I have a Masters?
Yes, the tenure will be shorter if you have a masters degree from the relevant subject.
2. How many years is a PhD after masters in US?
PhD after masters is about 4-5 years in United States.
3. Can a PhD be fully funded in the United States of America?
Yes, most of the universities in USA offers fully funded PhD programs for eligible candidates.
Hope you got enough knowledge on How many Years for PhD after Masters in the USA by going through this quick guide. If you are stuck anywhere on the PhD course length, application process, and eligibility criteria feel free to reach out to us. Our team will guide you with the necessary help. Stay tuned to our site for more updates on articles like this.