Formal Letter Writing: Letter is such a written message that we sent to persons who are far away from us and we want to convey our message to the;m in a clear and forceful manner. We usually write letters to our friends and relatives. Although advent of IT-Telephones, Mobile SMSs and Chat-has reduced the importance of personal letter writing, but this art is still required where there is need of formal communication. Art of letter writing is no more an ornamental accomplishment but something that every educated person must acquire for practical purposes. In the examination, it consists of 10 marks weightage.
Looking for an easy way to Learning of English Grammar Exercises for Class 9 ICSE. You have to learn basic English Grammer topics like Tenses, Verbs, Nouns, etc… In this article, we will review the best English Grammer Topics and compare them against each other.
Formal Letter Writing for Class 9 ICSE Format, Examples, Topics, Samples, Exercises
Types of Letters:
Letters can be broadly classified into two main categories
Formal letters are meant to be addressed to the heads or managers of civil, public or private companies, such as the Police Commissioner, Director, Branch Manager, Chairman, Mayor etc. Hence, the language used to write such letters must be positive, polite and formal. Also the message must be to the point and short. Informal language and jargons should be avoided in these type of letters.
Formal letters are written to serve the following purposes
- To ask or give information
- To register complaints
- To apply for job
- To apply for leave
- To redress grievances (to bring into notice public/social issues)
- To persuade customers etc.
Steps to Write a Formal Letter
1. Sender’s Address
Make sure that the sender’s address is clear and precise. It is written at the top on the right hand corner of the page. Specify the house number first, followed by the street, town/state and pincode. Next comes the date on which the letter is written.
2334/31, Mangal Pandey Nagar
12th December, 20XX
This portion includes the sender’s full address. While writing the address, one must NOT use a comma at the end of each line.
2. Date and Receiver’s Address
While writing date, always remember the day is written in figures, month in words and year in full figures. The receiver’s address comprises of the receiver’s name/designation and the complete address.
12th December, 20XX
The Times of India
Subject is written in order to highlight the purpose of your letter. It gives the reader a quick and clear idea of your letter and talks about its importance too. It must be brief as possible, maximum three or four words.
The salutation used in formal letters is a greeting to whom the letter is addressed. This consists of the words of greetings and is written below the subject line. It is never followed by any other word.
• Dear Sir/Madam
This is used when you do not know the name of the person you are writing to.
• Dear Mr/Mrs/Ms ……..
When you know the receiver’s name. In case of woman, write ‘Ms’ if you are not sure whether the woman is married or unmarried.
5. Body of the Letter/Message
This is the main part of the letter. Your message or the purpose of writing the letter comes in this part. So, it must be drafted carefully so as to create a convincing and appealing impact on its readers.
The message can be divided into paragraphs to distinguish or mark the subject matter properly. If the matter is too short, it is not required to divide it into paragraphs.
The body of the letter can be divided into the following parts
- Introductory Paragraph/Sentence State the purpose of writing.
- Information Paragraph Give details of the issue, problem (cause, effect, solution etc.)
- Concluding Paragraph States your hopes, request, comment etc.
6. Subscription/Leave Taking
You should not end your letter abruptly with only your name or signature for that may look rude. So, there should be proper leave taking followed by your name.
It is a courteous way of ending the letter. The expression used must match the salutation.
Yours sincerely / Yours faithfully/ Yours truly. The first letter of the second word (here ‘s’, ‘f, ‘t’) is never written in capital letter.
7. Name and Signature
It is written just below the subscription and includes the sender’s name and his/her signature. If applicable, the sender’s designation may be added in brackets.
Points to be Kept in Mind While Writing a Letter
- Read the question carefully to understand it properly.
- Write the key points for establishing good content and make sure that the body of the letter is in sync with the main theme.
- Your letter must be coherent and not begin or end abruptly.
- Avoid using long sentences. Avoid writing too much for explaining a single point.
- Keep your letter brief and to the point.
- Use simple language so that the letter is easy to understand.
- Never ask the Editor to solve your problem.
- These letters are written in a crisp and clear pattern and in a matter of fact style.
Format of Formal Letter
Write a letter to the Chairman, Local Municipal Corporation complaining about the malaria epidemic in your city. State the causes and suggest ways to deal with the problem.
Format : 3 marks
Body : 1 mark—Two complaints (1/2 accumulation of garbage + 1/2 drains remain waterlogged)
1 mark—Two suggestions (1/2 drains need to be clean + 1/2 set up of health camp)
Expression : 5 marks
Business letters are a basic means of communication between companies or even among the different departments in a company. They are written to keep permanent records of communication. These letters are written to professionals and hence proper care must be taken about its language. Business letters must be drafted in
- Formal language.
- With a polite and positive tone even if making a complaint.
- Straightforward manner (to the point).
These letters include
- Letters of enquiry (seeking or giving information).
- Placing orders and sending replies.
- Cancelling orders.
- Complaint against wrong/late delivery of goods, inferior quality of goods etc.
- Acknowledgement regarding the receipts of goods/payments etc.
Samples of Business Letter
1. You are Sakshi/Saksham living in Vellore. Your family plans to go for a vacation to Udaipur this vacation. Write a letter to the Front Office Manager of a five-star hotel seeking information about the types of rooms, tariffs, facilities, availability etc in their hotel.
H. No. 495 ‘Gautam Villa’
Subject Enquiry about Tariffs and Availability of Rooms
Kindly, let me know your tariff plans for the above mentioned room type and also give details of the facilities provided by your hotel. Also, let me know about the availability on the mentioned dates and whether you provide pick and drop and sight-seeing facilities.
I would request you to mention any special concession offers, if going on.
Awaiting your reply.
2. You are the librarian of Amla Public School. You had placed an order for textbooks with Dhanpati & Sons. As the books did not arrive on time, you have decided to cancel the order. Write a letter to the Manager, Dhanpati & Sons, Chennai, cancelling the order.
Amla Public School
Subject Cancellation of Our Order APS/33/12-13
We regret that the books ordered have not been received by us.
As the new term of the school has already started, we are constrained to cancel the above order, as you did not comply with the delivery date and also have not informed us when you expect the books to be delivered.
1. Write a letter from a business firm to a customer in reply to his complaint that the goods sent were received in damaged condition.
2. You are Praveen/Renu, Sales Manager of Shoe Emporium, Lucknow. You have placed a bulk order for various kinds of shoes (for both ladies and gents) on Riverside Shoe Manufacturers, Kanpur, one week ago. Due to changes is demand, you want to amend the order by reducing the quantity of one type of gents shoes and increasing the quantity of one type of ladies shoes. Write a letter to the supplier mentioning the changed quantities. Invent the necessary details.
3. You are Anoop/Aakriti, Baden Powell Senior Secondary School, Delhi. Writ; a letter to the Sales Manager, Aparana Publishing House, Delhi placing an order for books (minimum four titles) for your school library. Invent the necessary details.
4. Write a letter to Lightways Sports, Amrapalli, Thane, placing an order for sports articles (minimum 4) to be supplied to your school, ABC Matriculation School, Civil Lines, Pune. Sign as Ravi/Raveena, Sports Secretary.
5. You are Sushil Kumar, the Sports Secretary of your school. Write a letter to Rishabh Enterprises, New Delhi, a leading firm dealing in sports goods, requesting them to supply their trade catalogue. Mention the items you intend to buy and ask for a discount on the catalogue prices.
These letters include letters of complaint, enquiries, requests and are generally written to the heads of various private, public, civil departments e.g. Chairman of Municipal Corporation, Mayor, Police Superintendant etc. Therefore, they must be written in formal language with polite and positive attitude.
These letters are written to
- Bring into notice traffic jam, breakdown of electricity etc.
- Request for opening of school, library, hospital, park etc.
- Request eminent personalities to become chief guests etc.
Samples of Official Letter
1. Write a letter to the Chief Minister of your state drawing his attention to the urgent need for a government hospital in your district.
16, Gol Bazar
The Honourable Chief Minister
Subject Urgent Need for a Government Hospital in Yamunanagar
In case of minor ailments, the poor people have to rely on private clinics in their or nearby villages. But, when there are serious cases or casualties, it is not only very difficult, but also risky to take the patient to the government hospital which is far away from their residence. Even these hospitals are not equipped with adequate facilities. Nor do they have sufficient number of capable doctors. Private hospitals charge very high fees which the poor peasants can’t afford.
To check the increasing mortality and deteriorating health conditions in the district, a government hospital with all modern equipment is urgently required. This will cater to the basic needs of healthcare and medicine.
I hope you understand the gravity of the matter and will take necessary steps in this regard as requested.
2. You are Arun Maheswari. Write a letter to the Dean of Indira Gandhi National Open University enquiring about the Mass Communication courses.
H.No. 453, Sector 15
Subject Courses in Mass Communication
I have completed my graduation in English with 55% and am interested in joining the Masters Programme in Mass Communication. I would like to know the eligibility criteria for the same and also request you to send me the details regarding cost, hostel facilities and other relevant information.
A self-addressed envelope is being enclosed herewith. Looking forward to an early response.
1. Write a letter to the Director of the Archaeological Survey of India complaining about the damage caused to a historical monument in your city due to negligence. Suggest steps that the civic authorities should take to preserve the monument.
2. Due to insanitary conditions in the colony, the population of rodents has been multiplying, exposing the residents to multiple diseases. Write a letter to the Municipal Commissioner bringing the problem to his notice and urging him to take urgent action in the matter. You are Suraj/Supriya, 12 MG Road, Chennai.
3. Write a letter to the Manager of a local bus depot pointing out that there are very few buses plying on the route you use in the morning and these are invariably late, causing great inconvenience to the daily passengers.
4. You are Akshat Singhania, a resident of 39, Mayur Vihar, New Delhi. You are interested in joining the course in Advanced Techniques of Digital Photography advertised by Iconic Image Institute of Photography, Laxmi Nagar. Write a letter of enquiry for the same.
5. Write a letter to the President of the Municipal Corporation for a scholarship to enable you to join a college.
Letters to the Editor
These letters are written to the Editor of a newspaper. The main purpose of writing these letters is to draw the attention of public and related authorities towards the said problem through the newspaper.
These are the letters written to
- Express agreement or disagreement with the news items or articles published in a newspaper.
- Redress social issues or problems and give suggestions or seek solutions.
While writing letters to Editors
- Be specific and clear in order to make your purpose be understood.
- Always remember that the editor can give your opinions, suggestions or questions ‘a voice’. He/She cannot give you a solution, so don’t ask for it.
- Be positive and polite, whatever serious issue you are drawing attention to.
Samples of Letter to the Editor
1. Write a letter to the Editor of a newspaper about the insanitary conditions prevailing in your locality and the indifference of the Municipal authorities in spite of repeated letters of complaint.
102, Rai Mansion
Subject Poor Sanitary Conditions in Gokul Dham Colony
This, in turn, is giving rise to serious diseases like diarrhoea, cholera etc. Waterlogging and open manholes are other sources of diseases like Malaria. They have also posed a risk before parents who are scared of sending their children out for playing. Yet the local authorities are indifferent to such a grave concern. This is not only astonishing but also shameful on their part.
I would like to request the civil authorities to show their concern in this regard and take necessary steps immediately.
2. You are Nita Sharma, residing at A-406, Vasundhra Apartments, Ghaziabad. You are disturbed to watch the portrayal of women in TV serials. Write a letter to the Editor, The Times of India, BSJ Marg, New Delhi, expressing your views on the issue.
Subject Skewed Portrayal of Women in TV Serials
I am of the opinion that the content of TV serials should be regulated and put under observation. This is the right time to check the trend before the image of the Indian woman is tarnished.
1. The government has decided to cut off subsidy on cooking gas which has resulted in creating tremendous pressure on budgeting household expense for middle class people. Write a letter to the Editor of a local daily expressing your views.
2. As a regular commuter by bus from Noida to Delhi, you have been witnessing rash driving by the bus drivers’daily without an exception. Write a letter to the Editor, ‘The Times of India’ drawing the attention of the General Manager, Delhi Transport Corporation to this problem. You are Priti/Prakash, 15 Udyog Vihar, Noida.
3. You are Kamini/Kamal of 10, Civil Lines Extension, Chanakyapuri, Agra. The main road leading to your locality has three open manholes, causing frequent accidents at night, especially during the rainy season. Write a letter to the Editor, The Times of India drawing attention of the Municipal Commissioner to this problem of the residents.
4. You have noticed many stray animals on the road during the busy hours of the day. These animals cause traffic jams as well as accidents. You have already written to the concerned authorities but no action has been taken so far. Write a letter to the Editor, The Hindu, drawing attention of the Municipal Commissioner, Chennai. You are Shantha/Suresh, 12, MG Road, Chennai.
5. The youth of the country are very vigilant these days and feel concerned about the problems being faced by the people. Write a letter to the editor of a national daily urging him to highlight the role of the youth in eradicating the problems of poverty, unemployment and corruption. You are Rani/ Rohit, 15, Gulbarga Society, Surat.
Letters to Principal
In this type of letters, you need to convince the reader with your point of view. Therefore, these types of letters can be called as letters of thought. There should be logical order of arguments that you provide in favour of your request.
These letter are written to
- Change of subject, granting leaving/character certificate etc.
- Organising an event/guest lecture for the benefit of students etc.
- Taking the students to some fair, seminar etc.
- Providing or increasing certain facilities.
Note: Letters to the librarian, accounts department of your school/college may also come under this category.
Samples of Letter to Principal
1. Write an application to your Principal to make arrangement for extra coaching of Mathematics as the teacher was on long leave and the course could not be completed.
37, Sector 2A
Subject Request for Extra Classes for Mathematics
Our honourable teacher is making a sincere effort to complete the syllabus. But, since he was on long leave, it is lagging far behind. Ma’am, you can understand that Mathematics is a subject that requires a lot of practice after learning once. Therefore, we all are ready to attend extra classes in the evenings.
We shall be highly obliged to you for your kind consideration.
2. Write a letter to the Principal of your school requesting him to allow you and a few of your friends to take Economics in place of Biology for Board Examination. Your school is Science school that conducts/runs no classes for Economics as it’s an Arts subject. Convince your Principal why you want to opt for this subject and request him to make respective arrangement.
Subject Change of Subject in Class XICSE Board Exam
I know Economics is not taught in our school. But, if you kindly give us permission to opt for it, we will be taking private coaching for this subject.
I would be highly obliged to you if you allow us the same.
1. There is a book fair going on in your city. Write a letter to the Principal of your school on behalf of your class, requesting him to make an arrangement for visit to the fair. You are Saurabh/Surabhi of Class X.
2. You have just been admitted to a new school. Write a letter to the Principal complaining about excessive ragging being done by the senior students and requesting him to look into the matter.
3. Write a letter to the Principal of your school, requesting him to make regular arrangement for evening games.
4. Write a letter to the Principal of your school requesting him to issue your transfer and character certificate as your father has been transferred to another city and you have to go along and join another institute.
5. Write a letter to the Principal of your school requesting him to make arrangement for some more furniture for your classroom. Also give reason for your demand.
It must be written in a strictly formal and precise manner. No informal language should be used.
An outline of job applications
1. Introductory Paragraph
- Your identity, qualifications and the post you want to apply for.
- Also mention reference if you are replying to an advertisement/call.
2. Paragraph 2
- Your interest in the job
- Your experience; if any
- Your suitability
3. Paragraph 3
- Mention your enclosure of biodata/testimonials
- Thank the interviewer
- Close the letter
Samples of Job Application
1. You are Anvay/Anaaya living in 362, Mayur Vihar, New Delhi. You have seen an advertisement in the newspaper for the post of an ‘Electrical Engineer’ in Bharat Heavy Electricals Limited (BHEL). Write an application to the Human Resource Manager, BHEL giving details of your qualifications and experience.
362, Poonam Apartments
Subject Application for the Post of Electrical Engineer
I have completed engineering in Electrical Technology with an aggregate of 77% marks from Chennai University. I have also done one year diploma in Network Analysis apart from a basic course in computer. I have worked with Bajaj Electricals for 3 years and was awarded twice for my best contributory work by my employer. I was the winner of‘Student of the year’ in 2010 during the second year of my college. I have also been an active participant in various extra-curricular activities and delivered seminars and projects on various topics successfully.
I have attached my testimonials herewith for your kind consideration. I will be available for the interview at any time of your convenience provided you find a suitable candidate in me.
2. You are Anand/ Arti of 14, Model Town, Delhi. You have seen an advertisement in ‘The Hindu for the post of Chief Chef in a 5-Star Hotel. Apply for the job with complete bio-data.
14, Model Town
The HR Manager
Subject Application for the Post of Chief Chef
I am enclosing my bio-data, one testimonial and attested copies of my certificates.
1. You have seen an advertisement in the newspaper for the post of teacher. Write an application to the Manager, ABC Public School, applying for the post of TGT (English).
2. You wish to apply for an education loan to a local bank. Write a letter to the Branch Manager requesting him for an appointment. Also ask him which of the documents you should take along for his reference.
3. You saw an advertisement in a local newspaper regarding the vacancy of an Assistant Manager. Write a letter to the HR Manager, in response to the advertisement to apply for the same post. You are Anup and have done MBA from Kanpur University.
4. There is a vacancy for a Front Office Assistant in a 3-Star Hotel in your town. The requirements for the post are as follows:
- Young, unmarried females of age 19-24.
- Candidates must be a graduate.
- Good communication skills in English and Hindi.
- Height at least 5’ 4” and pleasing personality.
- Write a letter to the HR Manager to apply for the post.
5. You are Prem/Parul of 16, TT Nagar, Bhopal. You would like to apply for the post of Marketing Manager in a reputed firm in Mumbai. Write a letter to the Public Relations Officer, Chantac Enterprises, Mumbai, applying for the job.
Letters of Complaint
This type of letters are written to the addressed person to draw his attention towards the problem that has arisen. The person is asked to provide the solution as per this jurisdiction.
Letters are written to complain against
- mishaps like theft/losses.
- improper or wrong communications.
- inconvenience caused by any of the service sector organisations etc.
Though, this type of letters demand strong persuasive force in your words, they should be drafted in formal language as other official letters. No personal influence or threats should be reflected in your letter.
Samples of Complaint Letter
1. Write a letter to the Manager of the showroom from where you have recently purchased an LED TV,
complaining that it is not functioning properly. Give details of the model of the TV and your purchase date. Also, ask for its replacement.
10, Apna Ghar Society
Subject Complaint against Improper Functioning of TV
I request you to replace the set with a new one as it is in warranty period.
2. Write a letter to the Commissioner of Police requesting him to stop the loud music being played by some anti-social elements in your locality. This is disturbing students preparing for their annual examination.
The Commissioner of Police
Subject Request to Stop Loud Music
Most of the time the music keeps on playing till late night. This distracts the students from their studies a lot. Also, since last week there have been many rallies and roadshows in our area which use loudspeakers at high volume. If the situation persists, the students will not be able to make productive use of their time and their future will be at stake.
I request you to put a ban on the use of loudspeakers and playing of loud music during the examination months.
1. Write a letter to the Station Incharge of your area, requesting him to take action against some undesirable persons who are disturbing the public peace in your locality.
2. You are the Manager of a book store. You had ordered books for various sections of your store from a wholesale dealer in another city. The number of books delivered by the wholesale dealer is less than that ordered by you. Write a complaint letter to the dealer regarding this.
3. While you were returning from office last evening, somebody snatched your handbag from you and ran away. Write a letter to the local police station complaining against this theft. Also, give the details of the man’s appearance as much as you could observe.
4. You were on a business tour to Sikanderabad for four days. During your stay at a local hotel, you had given your clothes to the laundary department for cleaning. After returning home, you noticed that one of your blazers was missing. Write a letter of complaint to the Front Office Manager of the hotel regarding your missing blazer. Also ask him to send it by courier as soon as it is found.
5. There is a big market near the area in which you reside. There is a parking area near the market. Yet many people park their vehicles in front of shops and on roads. This creates traffic jam and makes it difficult for people to walk through. Write a letter to the Police Commissioner complaining about illegal parking by people and also suggest some disciplinary measures to be implemented in the city.
Formal Letter Writing Worksheets
1. The traffic outside your school is very heavy and chaotic.
Write a letter to the Deputy Commissioner of Police (Traffic) pointing out the danger of such heavy and chaotic traffic in a school zone. Suggest possible solutions for the problem.
Brahma Public School
The Deputy Commissioner
Subject Heavy and Chaotic Traffic in School Zone
We all are aware that the number of vehicles and commuters on the roads is continuously increasing and that there is no proportional increase in the width of the roads to accommodate this increased traffic. Consequently, traffic jams are bound to happen if the traffic is not disciplined.
We observe that jams occur because of all kinds of vehicles being parked irresponsibly for long periods of time on the road near our school. Then we can see drivers getting into ugly arguments, indulging in rash driving etc. Further, as this is a school area, it is a Silence Zone, as some signboards put up by your department proclaim. However, there is no silence, as some motorists continuously honk when there is a traffic jam.
If your department arranges two traffic constables on duty at the time of the school’s opening and closing, they can create awareness among the drivers about traffic rules and regulations. Further, they can regulate the traffic at that time to improve the situation. If the necessary action is not taken from your side very soon, it may lead to accidents also.
We have faith in the Police Department. I believe that the Police Department will fulfil its duties to combat this problem of traffic jams in our school zone.
Question 2. Being the Secretary of Live Happy Youth Club of your town/city, you are going to organise a charitable camp for eye and dental check-up and treatment for the poor people. You wish to get a sponsor and hence decide to write a letter to the Managing Director, Persistence Technologies Pvt Ltd for the sponsorship. Write a letter giving full details of your mission.
16, Dwarka Apartments
The Managing Director Persistence
Subject Sponsorship for Health Camp
We will be conducting a ‘Health Camp’ for three days at Nehru Nagar. There will be free eye and dental check-ups followed by the required treatment on the subsequent days. The patients will also be provided with the necessary medicines. The experienced doctors and nurses from the government and private hospitals of the city will be treating the patients. There will also be an arrangement of all modern equipment necessary for proper diagnosis and cure of the ailments. The government multi-speciality hospital of the city has shown its modesty to offer the best equipment it has.
I request you to offer your sponsorship for the event. In turn, we will give publicity to your company by printing its name on the pamphlets and banners. Awaiting your prompt reply.
3. Many areas near your school have been affected by flood. You are the President of your school Social Service Club. Write a letter to the Mayor of your town/city telling him/her what you plan to do for the relief of the victims. Suggest ways in which you can combine with other organisations to bring about better distribution of relief items.
Subject Better Relief for Flood Victims
The government as well as the Armed Forces are working towards providing fast relief to the victims. But, the loss is so severe and large that this effort is falling short. It is of course our duty to help our brethren in such a woeful situation. Therefore, the Social Service Club of our school has decided to raise a helping hand for speedily relief. We would be appealing to various organisations and NGOs to raise funds to assist us by offering their manpower for this mission. Our teams would join the relief camps to assist them in evacuating people and treating the casualties. We would also be buying food items and clothes from the funds collected.
I hope, with the cooperation of other organisations and your kind consent, we will be helping our unfortunate brothers and sisters to relieve them from this grim problem.
You are the President of the school Nature Club. Write a letter to a well-known Social Worker or Environmentalist inviting him/her to be the Chief Guest at the Annual Function of your club. Give some details about your club and the Annual Function.
Vidya Niketan School
Ms Madhu Bhatnagar
Subject Invitation to the Chief Guest
It would be an honour for us if you adorn the function by your gracious presence and also enlighten all of us with your experiences.
Looking forward to welcoming you.
A company has been marketing spurious medicines behind claims that its product could be effective in preventing the avian flu or other forms of influenza. Write a letter ro the Drug Controller General of the Directorate of Health Services, examining the claim of the company and explaining the harm these kind of claims could cause.
24/7, Charkhop Pharmacy Stores
The Drug Controller General
Subject Marketing of Spurious Medicines
Many patients of the avian flu have used these medicines and their condition has further deteriorated. Some of them have developed severe side effects. Many have even been on the brink of losing their lives.
I, therefore, request you to examine the claims of this company thoroughly and prevent any more such medicines from flooding the markets so that innocent lives may be spared. Moreover, a ban should be issued on the production of more such medicines.
Your immediate action in this regard would be highly appreciated.
Status of women in India is not as satisfactory as it could have been in the twenty first century. Women are working in almost every sector and proving their calibre. Yet their dignity is at stake since some people do not respect them. Write a letter to the Editor of a local daily expressing your views on this issue.
12, Garima Enclave
Subject Respect for Women
They have shown an evolutionary rise from a housewife to a working professional and to an entrepreneur. Yet the menace of dowry, domestic violence, eve-teasing, female foeticide etc has not left them. The dignity of women is still not safeguarded. They are still becoming prey to the lust of men. To satisfy their much fanned ‘ego’ and to be authoritative and powerful, men still dominate and humiliate women.
Inspite of shouldering the responsibility of family and also contributing to the growth of the country’s economy, women have not got an equal status in India. Supreme Court’s latest verdict on the law against molestation of women is relieving. Similar steps on the part of local administrators and police departments of every state and every city are expected. Unless the activities of atrocities against women are strictly monitored and controlled, women cannot consider themselves safe.
I will strongly admire your newspaper raising voice for women’s honour.
You are the Manager of a Private Sector Bank in Noida. A newspaper has published an inaccurate account of a robbery in your branch. Write a letter to the Editor of what actually happened.
Subject Inaccurate Account of a Robbery in Our Bank
The robbers looted the bank in the midnight whereas the report states it to have occurred at around 8 in the evening. The report also states the robbery of ₹ 10 crores, whereas the exact loss incurred was ₹ 7 crore and gold worth ₹ 20 lakh, as mentioned in the FIR no 768. Moreover, our security guard was so mercilessly beaten while he tried to resist them that he is in ICU at City Hospital. And this is disgusting that the news report has mentioned him of being merely threatened on the tip of the revolver. The alleged conspiracy of the officials unless investigated and proved, may cause serious harm to their reputation which is difficult to compensate. Also, this creates very bad impression among the public whose faith is shaken.
I request you to publish a rectified news, report, stating bare facts; so that the harm is compensated.
Write a letter to the Director of a television channel complaining about the quality of the programmes telecast on it. Suggest ways to improve the quality of programmes.
Flat No. 704, A-Wing
Subject Deteriorating Quality of Your Television Shows
Youngsters watching this programme are inspired to use filthy language, scheming and plotting against their own family members. Besides this, degradation of values and too much of wealth and opulence teaches youngsters to acquire quick wealth through fair or foul means.
It will be much appreciated if you would take note of the above mentioned complaint and change the outlook of the programmes that are being telecast. I would suggest adding on some variety in the programmes by introducing some—Quiz/GK programme, comedies, cookery shows, interviews and some educative programmes to make the channel more interesting.
I am sure that this letter will not go unheeded. I sincerely look forward to better aired programmes in future.
Your class wants to visit a well-known historical monument in a nearby town. Write a letter to your Principal seeking permission and say how you would benefit from the visit.
Subject Visit to Taj Mahal
The trip would help us in learning about our cultural heritage. We would also be able to see one of the seven wonders of the world. We are very excited for this visit and have been reading about Taj Mahal and Agra on the Internet.
Hence, I most humbly request you to permit us to visit Agra.
A number of loose electric wires are hanging from a lamp post near the main gate of your school. Write a letter to the Municipal Commissioner explaining the problem, the danger it poses and suggest a quick solution.
The Municipal Commissioner
Subject Loose Electrical Wires Posing Danger
Inspite of repeated requests, nothing has been done so far. It is requested therefore to treat the matter urgently and get the wires set at their proper place to avoid any calamity or loss of life.
You are Rajat Kumar, a resident of 79, RK Puram, New Delhi. You are interested in joining the course in Communication Skills advertised by the Elite School of Language, South Extension. Write a letter of enquiry for the same.
79, RK Puram
Subject Require Details of Course in Communication Skills
Please let me know the duration of the course for beginners and the advanced course as well as the fees charged for both courses. I would like to know if the courses are recognised by any university and whether they are diploma or certificate courses. Kindly furnish the details at the address mentioned above as early as possible, so that I can decide about enrolling myself for one of them.
You are interested in doing a short-term course in computer graphics during your holidays. Write a letter to the Director, Easy Computers, enquiring about their short-term courses and asking for all the necessary details. You are Naresh/Nandini.
79, RK Puram
Subject Require Details of Short-term Course in Computer Graphics
I am a graduate in Science and plan to take up a job in the line of software. Specifically I am interested in the course on computer graphics and similar other courses in this field. Please send me details of the short-term courses you are conducting, particularly those that start around 1st May. I will appreciate if you could forward me more details of the computer graphics course, including curriculum, duration, fees etc.
Write a letter to the Editor of a newspaper on reckless driving.
H.No. 7, ABC Colony,
Subject Reckless Driving
I hope the public, the worst sufferer, will bring pressure to bear upon the police to put a stop to reckless driving before we have any more deaths due to accidents.
Write an application to the Principal of a school in answer to their advertisement for a Social Science Teacher. Give details of your education and experience.
16, ‘Leela Vista’
Subject Application for the Post of Social Science Teacher
I have been teaching History for Class VIII-X in Royal School of Bengaluru which is affiliated to ICSE and is a school of repute, for the last four years. My students have been consistently giving very good academic results ever since I joined.
I had been a table tennis champion for four years in college. My active participation in various competitions in school and college has drilled my mind and groomed my personality in such a manner that I can teach the students the techniques to manage stage fear effectively.
I have enclosed my biodata and certificates herewith.
I assure you that if given an opportunity, I will deliver the best results.
Write an application for the post of Assistant Manager in Alpha Tech (Private) Limited, Moradabad. Include your bio-data. You are Neeraj Bhardwaj.
2, Court Road
The Personnel Manager
Subject Application for the Post of Assistant Manager
I am enclosing my bio-data, a testimonial and attested copies of my certificates.
I hope to receive a positive response from your company.