Essay On Social Issues: India is a diverse country with people from various walks of life, with different cultural and ethnic backgrounds. There are mostly 9 main religions and various sub-castes in each of them. With 28 states and 8 union territories, India is truly is a glorification of unity in diversity.
But the phrase unity in diversity is usually misconstrued as if everything is hunky-dory in India. There is no country in the world that does not face problems, especially social issues and India is no different. In this essay on social issues, we will be talking about the various social issues that India and many parts of the world face in 2020.
You can read more Essay Writing about articles, events, people, sports, technology many more.
Long and Short Essays on Social Issues for Students and Kids in English
You can find below examples of 600-word long essay on social issues and 200-word short essay on social issues in English. This can be used by schoolchildren and students of class 6, 7, 8, 9 and 10 for their essay writing, exam, test, assignment and project work.
Long Essay on Social Issues 600 Words in Engllish
India is a country with 28 states and 8 union territories made up of people following 9 main religions and speaking more than 22 languages across the length and breadth of the country. To assume that everything is fine in a country with 140 crore population and so much of diversity is not only illogical but also an unprecedented amount of ignorance on our part.
There are plenty of social issues that India faces and in this essay on social issues, we are going to discuss the main issues pertaining to India
What are the social issues that India faces?
The following are the mainstream social issues that India faces even in 2020
- Communalism: The political class of India has always followed the divide and rule policy. This policy was inherited from the British and is unfortunately followed by the ruling class even today. And what is more unfortunate is people fall into this trap every 5 years during the election time. Dividing people of the basis of caste and communal lines in usually referred to as communalism. Inciting hatred and bigotry between different sections of people by hate-mongering and provocative speeches lead to violence and unrest. India has seen some worst communal riots in recent times like the 1991 Mumbai riots, Ayodhya riots, 2002 Godhra riots and the 2020 Delhi riots.
- Poverty: There are millions of Indin who are BPL (Below Poverty Line) cardholders. While the government has been trying to provide them with food, every government since the time India achieved her independence, has miserably failed to lift people out of poverty. Crores of families in India are daily wage labourers who can easily be trapped into the poverty of they don’t work even for one day. The issue of poverty has been highlighted and been flashed into our faces during the COVID-19 pandemic when the country was under lockdown for 2 months. Millions of people, with lack of livelihood and food, were on the verge of starvation.
- Gender Discrimination: The pay gap between a male and a female employee, lack of adequate representation of female leaders in parliament, dowry harassment, lack of equal opportunities both in private and public sector jobs and social stereotypes and stigmas attached with the concept of gender has been a challenging problem for our country from many years. In spite of a separate ministry formed for empowering women in the country, due to lack of educational and social awareness, women have been mistreated in the country both in public and private spaces.
- Female Foeticide: India has banned the medical facility from disclosing the gender of the baby before its birth. This was a highly required policy in a country where female foeticide is at an all-time high. Killing of babies inside a womb because the gender of the baby is female, is considered to be a crime in the country. And in spite of strict law and order in place, female foeticide continues to exist in India. The reason behind this is a false social stigma associated with girls in the country assuming that girls are a financial and social burden for the parents. Proper educational and awareness, campaigns need to be conducted, especially in rural India to educate people about the importance of a girl child in a family.
- Illiteracy: In spite of providing free primary and secondary education, the illiteracy rate in India is very high. This is especially true in economically backward areas where parents would prefer sending their kids to work and earn money than sending them to school. They feel that school and studying can’t earn them a livelihood. Proper awareness has to be created regarding the importance of education in a child’s life to encourage parents to send their kids to schools.
- Corruption: From 2g scam to CWG scam and Satyam Scam, India has seen corruption scandal, both in public and private sector, worth thousands of crores. Corruption has slowed down our economic prosperity and resulted in a lot of black money stashed abroad. Corruption has impacted the development of India. Proper policies and laws should be in place to stop and reduce corruption in India.
Short Essay on Social Issues 200 Words in English
Find below a 200-word short essay on social issues in English. This can be used by schoolchildren and students of classes 6, 7, 8, 9 and 10 for their essay writing, exam, test, assignment and project work.
Social issues are those issues in a country that proves harm to its social and cultural fabric. Gender discrimination, racism, female infanticide, communalism and hatred are some of the burning social issues in certain countries. But when we consider the planet as a whole, global warming, climate change, deforestation, terrorism, plastic explosion, population expansion and racism can be considered as few burning issues that require international communities to come together to find a long-lasting, solid and a robust solution.
No country exists is without any social issues. Certain social issues can change the course and dynamics of a country or a whole community. Racism created a strong movement and produced revolutionary and visionary leaders like Nelson Mandela. Corruption scandals like the Watergate scandal change the politics of America and communalism issues like the Ram Janma Bhoomi-Babri Masjid case changed the secular fabric of India.
Now that we are in the 21st century, the people have to rise above the hate and bigotry in society and solve the social issues, along with the help of the government, for a prosperous and a better tomorrow for our next generation.
- Social issues are a problem that influences the common citizen of a country.
- Social issues can be part of our traditions and cultural stereotypes.
- Every country in the world faces different social issues like racism, global warming, corruption or illiteracy
- More than 29% of Indians live in poverty.
- Few of the burning social issues in India are communalism, racism, gender discrimination and corruption.
- Social issues, if not resolved, can lead to violence and anarchy.
- In 21st centre, digital bullying and online harassment is a new form of social issue.
- Privacy concerns, snooping and hacking are other social issues that have popped up due to the advent of the internet around the world.
- Starvation is one of the most horrifying and brutal social issues that humanity faces.
- Economic inequality leads to poverty.
FAQ’s on Essay On Social Issues
What are the main social issues in India?
Corruption, illiteracy, communalism and poverty are the main social issues in India
IS COVID-19 pandemic a social issue?
Since coronavirus has affected our lives world over, it is the number one social issue that each and every country is facing today
When is the world’s day of social justice?
February 20th is celebrated as the world day of social justice every year
Which social issue can be the end of the world?
Nuclear was and race for nuclear armaments between countries is one big social issue that is capable of ending the world as we know it