Essay on Consumer Rights: A consumer is defined as someone who buys goods and services for directly using them rather than reselling them or using them or some other indirect use. Consumer protection or consumer right is the right to have clarity of information regarding a product’s quality, quantity, potency, price and purity. These rights are curated to protect consumers from unfair trade.
Consumer rights are predetermined declarations which are established by law. Consumer organisations are also made which help these consumers to exercise their right if and when treated unfairly. Consumer rights are a very special set of rules which prevent huge frauds committed by huge business corporations.
You can also find more Essay Writing articles on events, persons, sports, technology and many more.
Long and Short Essays on Consumer Rights for Students and Kids in English
We are providing students with essay samples on a long essay of 500 words and a short essay of 150 words on the topic Consumer Rights.
Long Essay on Consumer Rights 500 Words in English
Long Essay on Consumer Rights is usually given to classes 7, 8, 9, and 10.
Consumer protection is the rights given to a consumer for having clarity of information regarding the product that they buy. They have the right to have full information about the quality, quantity, price, standard and purity of the product. It is to be mentioned, however, that consumer rights are solely for the consumers who buy a product for their direct use and not for reselling it.
Consumer protection is considered to be falling udert e arena of “private law.” It is a way of preventing consumers as well as the state rom financial scams, financial frauds and bankrupt businesses. Countries like Australia, Brazil, United States of America and the United Kingdom, have consumer protection laws in the nation-state level. They also have specific state organisations to help their consumers.
Constitutional Laws: As many as 47 constitutions in the present day include some consumer rights to be enforced in their constitution.
Consumer Protection In India:
In India, the most important consumer rights fall under The Consumer Protection Act of 1986. According to this law, not only the individual consumers but a company, a group of consumers, an undivided Hindu family, all have the power to exercise their rights. The consumer rights mentioned in the law are-
- The right to be protected from harmful and hazardous goods and services.
- The right to be informed in details about the quality as well as the performance of a good.
- The right to freedom of choice of goods and services.
- The right to be heard in all the decision-making processes which are related to the interests of the consumers.
- The right to seek redressal on the infringement of consumer rights.
- The right to the completion of consumer education.
Keeping the condition of the consumers in mind, The Government of India and its Ministry of Consumer Affairs, opened a nodal organisation called the Department of Consumer Affairs to protect the consumers from frauds and unfair treatment. If there is an infringement of these rights, then a proper claim for redressal can be made in a consumer court.
The circumstances under which a complaint can be made in a consumer court:
- If the goods or services purchased by the person has one or more defects.
- If a trader or a service provider resort to unfair means of business.
- If a trader or a service provider charges a price above what has been agreed upon under law.
- Goods or services that cause a certain safety hazard to the users or the consumers.
Right to Consumer Education:
It is the right of every citizen to have an education regarding consumer protection. The education makes sure that the consumer has all the knowledge and information required regarding their rights and claims. Consumer forum is a quasi-judicial mechanism at the district, state and national level. It is a three-tier mechanism consisting of the District Consumer Disputes Redressal Forum, the State Consumer Disputes Redressal Forum and the National Consumer Disputes Redressal Forum. It is till now one of the most successful judicial tribunal introduced by the Government.
Short Essay on Consumer Rights 150 Words in English
Short Essay on Consumer Rights is usually given to classes 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, and 6.
Consumer Protection or Consumer Rights refer to the rights that a consumer is granted to have clarity of information about a product that one has bought. It is the right of the consumer to know about the quality, quantity, price, standard and purity of a product. Consumer Rights are an essential aspect of the judicial system as it can prevent elaborate financial frauds, financial scams and bankruptcy.
As many as 47 countries have included consumer protection and consumer rights as constitutional law. In India, consumer rights come under the Consumer Protection Act of 1986. There is also a three-tier quasi-judicial mechanism in India in all the district, state and national level. This tribunal is called the Consumer Forum. Among the different rights that a consumer enjoys, there are right to know full information about the product bought, right to be protected from hazardous products, right to consumer education, right to freedom of choice of goods and services and right to redressal upon the infringement of these rights.
10 Lines on Consumer Rights in English
- Nearly 47 countries have it as a constitutional right.
- The Consumer Protection Act came into being in 1986.
- The ministry of the Government is called The Ministry of Consumer Affairs, Food and Public Distribution.
- The Department of Consumer Affairs has been made for addressing complaints.
- On the infringement of any consumer rights, the consumer can complain in a consumer court.
- Consumer course is of three-tier in India.
- It is a quasi-judicial body.
- It exists in the district-state and national level.
- The district-state-national forums entertain complaints of 20 lacs, one crore and more than one crore respectively.
- Consumer rights are one of the most efficient aspects of today’s judicial system.
FAQ’s on Consumer Rights Essay
Why is consumer rights important?
Consumer Rights are important because they prevent the consumer and individual from unfair trade, financial frauds and scams.
What are the forums called?
The Consumer Forums are called the District Consumer Disputes Redressal Forum, State Consumer Disputes Redressal Forum and the National Consumer Disputes Redressal Forum.
What is the Consumer Helpline Number in India?
Consumer Helpline Number is 1800114000 or 14404.