Email Writing Format: An email is a method of creating, transmitting, collecting and receiving information over the electronic communication system. Here we will discuss, how to write a formal and informal email. The way for formal email has been explained in detail here. The learners can understand how to write a formal email in this article.
What is Email?
Email stands for electronic mail. It is the most preferred means of communication because it is cheaper and faster. It is used in formal, semi-formal as well as an informal way of expression or writing. There are two ways to write the email:
Tips for Writing Email Letter Format
- Stay up to date and do not use old letter writing formats. There is no need to mention a date when practicing electronic modes of communication. Put all your text left-aligned, rather than following older formats utilized for letters written on paper.
- Always declare your request as clearly as possible, and supply it with a valid reason to make your case more powerful.
- Formal emails frequently use indirect questions instead of direct ones
- Formal complaints should be well worded, but without losing the nature of professionalism. While placing down your complaints, make sure your email does not end up looking tense or undignified. It is necessary to state the issues or events producing offense as clearly as possible, but also in brief.
- Always hold your tone respectful and reassuring when dealing with complaints and grievances. At no point in your email, should you attack the sender with any counter-questions or lose the attitude of formality.
- Convey happiness or excitement informal emails only with words and appropriate amounts of punctuation, like the occasional exclamation point.
Format of Email Writing
The email writing format is likewise for each of the categories. Though the selection of words and language varies depending upon the kind of email. One can employ friendly and casual writing in informal emails. The language utilized in formal emails should be professional, precise, and formal.
The Important steps for writing the email are:
- Subject Line
- Body of the mail
Email Writing Format Samples
The format is given here
From: Sender’s Mail id
To: Recipient’s Mail id
Cc: Other concerned person’s with visible email ids
Bcc: Other concerned person’s with invisible email ids
Subject: Reason for writing the mail
Greeting/Salutation: Display your respect (Such as Sir, Respected Sir)
Main Body: Content of the email
- Discuss the matter in detail
Closing line: Thank you for the consideration
Attachments: Attach reference files
Signature line: Name and contact details
Email Writing Examples for Students
Writing a letter to inform your classmates regarding the intra-college quiz competition.
To: (email id of recipient)
Subject: Intra-college Quiz Competition.
This is to notify you all that an intra-college quiz competition is going to be conducted in our college on Jan 25 from 11:00 am in Auditorium – 01.
Everyone is therefore invited to take part in the competition so that our department can win.
For further inquiries, feel free to contact me.
Formal Email Writing Format
An email addressed for business communication or professional use falls under this section. The email addressed to any official department, school administration, company or any officers is the formal emails. Use of proper and formal words, the purpose for writing mail, clarity, proper salutation and closing are some of the commands of the formal email.
Let us write a formal email for a resignation letter.
To: (Mail id of the recipient)
Subject: Resignation Letter
I am writing this mail to inform you that I am leaving my position with this organization. As per the standard of the company I’ve to give a month’s notice before quitting. I hope you will get a good replacement for me within this time period.
I really appreciate the opportunities that you have given to me and helped me to grow. Wish you and the company the best in the future.
Kindly let me know what to anticipate as far as my final work schedule and the employee perks. It would be an honor to be assistance with the above.
Waiting for your response.
Thanks and Regards
Informal Email Writing Sample
An email addressed to any friend, family members or relatives appears under this section. The practice of polite, friendly and casual terms along with proper salutations and closings are some of the rules of the informal emails.
Suppose we need to write the invitation to a birthday party in the mail to your friends, then the sample would be:
To: (Email of the recipient)
CC/BCC: (If you need to add more recipient)
Subject: Invitation to a birthday party
I hope this mail finds you in considerable time. I am very happy to invite you to my birthday party on Jan 03 at XYZ Hotel from 7:00 pm to 10:00 pm. The theme of the birthday party is ‘Cinderella”.
It would be excellent if you come and join us at the party. We will have a great time and fun together.
See You Soon
FAQ’s On Email Writing Format
How to write an Email?
To: (Mail id recipient)
Cc: (Add people with visible email id’s)
Bcc: (Add people with invisible email id’s)
Subject: Mention the reason
Body of the Mail: Write the matter explaining the reason and include the conclusion
Signature: Name, contact address
What are the formal emails?
The emails are written to office administration, school authority, companies, government firms, etc. are formal emails.
What are the informal emails?
An email written to family, relatives, and friends is the informal emails.