Cricket Essay: Cricket is a famous game played in many countries of the world like England, India and Australia. It is a game played with a bat and ball. Two teams are needed to play, and eleven players are allowed in each side. Both teams have to bat and bowl.
The team that bats must score runs while the bowling team should stop them by taking wickets. There are umpires to make sure that rules are followed. The game is played on a field with a rectangular pitch on which batsmen play. Cricket has three kinds of formats- T20, test and ODI. Cricket is a global game loved by many.
You can read more Essay Writing about articles, events, people, sports, technology many more.
Long and Short Cricket Essay In English for Students and Children
Below we have provided one long essay on cricket of 400-500 words and one short essay on cricket of 200 words.
Long Essay on Cricket in English 500 words
The long Cricket essay is suitable for students of class 7, 8, 9, 10 and competitive exam aspirants.
Cricket is a popular outdoor game played in many parts of the world on an international and national level. It is one of the prominent games played in India by children and adults alike.
The game consists of two teams with 11 players each. The game is played on a filed with a rectangular 22-yard long pitch at the centre. There are wickets at the two ends. The pitch is where the batsmen stand, and the bowler bowls the ball. A coin toss takes place before the match begins. The team captains do the coin toss. The captain that wins gets to choose what they want to do first. Each team has to bat and bowl. 2 batsmen are allowed on the field and try to score a good amount of runs. The bowling team tries to bowl them out to prevent this. A batsman can score a maximum of 6 runs in one ball. A bowler can bowl six balls in each over. Umpires make sure that players follow the rules of the game. There are two umpires on the field, one that stands on the bowler’s end and another that stands on the square leg. Nowadays there is a third umpire off the ground as well as a match referee.
The team that bats first sets a target score which the other side should chase down. If the team chases down the score, they win. If the scores are tied, a final over called the super over is played by the sides. The team that scores the highest runs or chases down the target score wins. In case of weather problems, then the match is either cancelled or the Duckworth- Lewis method is adopted. Here the score of the teams at last over that was played is compared. The team with the highest runs wins.
Cricket has three formats- T20, ODI and test. T20, also known as 20-20 is played for 20 overs by each team like IPL or Indian Premier League. ODI or One Day International is played for 50 over by each team and lasts the whole day. The test format is played for five days by the two teams with at least 90 overs per day.
The first games of cricket were played in the 16th century in England and are the national sport of England. Throughout the 19th century, it spread throughout the world. Cricket is extremely popular in India, England and Australia as well as in Sri Lanka, Pakistan, West Indies, Bangladesh, South Africa, etc. The governing body is the International Cricket Council or ICC that makes the rules.
Cricket attracts many people. Children play the game on the streets and in large open grounds. When cricket matches happen, the stadiums are filled with enthusiastic fans, and they cheer loud for their teams, which encourages the players. Many families sit in front of the TV and watch the whole game with many emotions and cheers. Today even women play cricket, and women’s cricket is slowly gaining popularity.
Short Essay on Cricket in English for kids 200 words
Cricket essay is suitable for students of classes 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 and 6.
Cricket is a very famous game played by many people around the world and the most loved game in India. It is an outdoor game. Cricket is played with a bat and a ball on a field with a rectangle pitch in the centre. Two teams play, and each team gets to bat and bowl. There are 11 players on each of these teams. There are wickets placed at the ends of the pitch.
The two batsmen must try to score a good score while the bowling team tries to bowl them out. One team sets a score which the other team must beat. If they beat the score, they win. An umpire makes sure they follow the rules. A bowler can bowl six balls in one over. The game can be played in 3 formats – T20, ODI and test matches. Cricket is played in many countries like England, Australia, India, South Africa, etc. The ICC makes the rules for the game.
Children and adults love cricket. Children love to play this game on the streets or in empty grounds and have a lot of fun while playing it. Many people watch matches on TV or in the stadiums and cheer loudly for their team.
These 10 lines are suitable for competitive exam aspirants and while making speeches.
- Cricket is an outdoor game that is played using a bat and ball. It is a famous game in India.
- Cricket matches are played on a field with a rectangular pitch in the centre. This pitch is 22 yards long. Wickets are placed on the ends of the pitch.
- The game involves two teams, each of which gets a chance to bat and bowl. Each unit has 11 players.
- The captains do a coin toss, and the captain that wins gets to decide whether to bat or bowl.
- Two batsmen are allowed on the pitch and must score runs. The bowling team tries to get wickets to prevent this. A batsman can score six runs in one ball, and one over lasts six balls.
- The first team to bat sets the target score. The opposing team must chase this score. If they do, they win.
- Umpires ensure that teams follow the rules. There are two umpires on the field, near the bowler’s end and on leg square. There is another umpire off-field and a match referee.
- Cricket has three formats – T20, ODI and test matches. T20 is played for 20 overs, ODI for 50 overs and the test is played for five days, at least 90 overs per day.
- Cricket was started in the 16th century England. It is played in countries like India, England, Australia, South Africa, etc. ICC is the regulatory body.
- Cricket is a popular game. Children play cricket on the streets and open grounds. When cricket matches happen, the stadiums are filled with enthusiastic fans, and they cheer loud for their teams, which encourages the players. Many families sit in front of the TV and watch the whole game with many emotions and cheers.
FAQ’s On Cricket Essay
How is cricket played?
Cricket is an outdoor game played using a bat and ball. It is played between 2 teams with 11 players; each team gets to bat and bowl. Two batsmen are allowed on the pitch and must score runs while the bowling team tries to get them out.
What are the different formats in cricket?
Cricket has three kinds of formats – T20, ODI and Test.
Where are the umpires positioned during the match?
There are two umpires on the field, on the bowler’s end and the square leg. One umpire is off the field as well.
What is the regulatory body for cricket?
The regulatory body for cricket is the ICC or International Cricket Council. It governs cricket globally.