Cover Letter: A cover letter is a one-page document that is submitted as a part of a person’s resume. It serves as an introductory letter or an accompanying letter to your resume. A cover letter usually includes an overview of a person’s resume as well as some of their personal information. These can include notable achievements and awards as well as any useful learning experiences. Student or professional, writing the perfect cover letter is an important skill to master. This is due to the fact that a cover letter is the first piece of information a potential employer views.
Moreover, cover letters serve various purposes, and not just for employment. It is also used for visa applications as well as internship applications. Therefore, a well-written cover letter is paramount as it increases the chances of acceptance. Furthermore, if the cover letter entices the reader, they will be motivated to proceed with the interview. A good cover letter must also try to showcase knowledge or skills which are relevant to the interviewer. From a grammatical perspective, cover letters must convey their message in an easy-to-understand language. The writer must also ensure that their cover letters are well-organized.
Get Other Types of Letter Writing like Formal, Informal and Different Types of Letter Writing Samples.
Cover Letter Structure and Organization
A good cover letter must contain three parts:
- Introduction: The introduction is the most important part of the cover letter. It should capture the attention of the reader. This can be achieved by listing out skills that are relevant to the post. It can also elaborate on where the candidate learned about the opening or even why they are interested in that particular job.
- Body: The body must be 1-3 paragraphs long. It must summarize why the job is the perfect fit for you. You must elaborate on how your skills and knowledge correlates with the job. Make a valid argument as to why you are the ideal candidate for the job – do this by listing out your strengths and capabilities. Use this part of the letter to describe how you add value to the organization. Moreover, ensure that the points stated here are not repeated in your resume.
- Conclusion: The conclusion part of the cover letter must convey the employer to invite you for an interview. This can be achieved by establishing a flow of action for the reader to maintain contact – either through an interview or a phone call. Always conclude the letter with a complimentary close (respectfully, sincerely, etc).
Note: Personalize each letter to tailor the job requirement. Also, the cover letter must be concise, stating relevant information in a single page. Lastly, proofread your cover letter for grammatical mistakes or errors. Any mistakes here can be off-putting for the employers. Get to Know How To Write a Cover Letter from here.
To sum up, cover letters must address the following:
- Why are you interested in the job/ organization?
- Why should the employer/ organization be interested in you?
- Highlight the most relevant skill/ knowledge for the job.
- How the employer/ organization will follow up or contact you.
Cover Letter Sample
Now that the structure and the format for cover letters are provided, read on to explore the various cover letter examples. Use the following templates and tailor the details so that it suits your requirements:
How To Write A Cover Letter for A Job?
A cover letter for a job must be well-written to ensure that the employer becomes interested in your profile
Cover Letter for Visa Application
A visa application cover letter is often written to an embassy where the visa documents will be submitted or processed. However, only some embassies make it mandatory to submit cover letters for Visa applications.
Cover Letter to School Summer Camp
Following is an example cover letter for a summer camp job or a Resident Assistant position (RA).
Cover Letter for Software Developer
Following is a cover letter for the position of a software developer in a reputed company.
Cover Letter for Teaching Job
Following is a cover letter for the position of a teacher at a school in India
FAQ’s on Cover Letter
What is a cover letter for a job?
A cover letter is a one-page document that is submitted as a part of a person’s resume. It serves as an introductory letter or an accompanying letter to the resume
What is a cover letter example?
Cover letters are primarily used for two purposes – employment applications and Visa applications.
What does a cover letter look like?
A cover page is a one-page document that provides a brief overview of a person’s resume or application.
How do you write a cover letter for 2020?
Be precise and write to the point. For a job cover letter, ensure that you highlight your strengths and how they fit in with the company’s requirements.
What is the purpose of a cover letter?
Cover letters provide an overview of a person’s resume as well as their personal information. Moreover, cover letters are used in various fields – from employment and visa applications to internship applications.
Visit AplusTopper to explore the best learning resources and study materials for exams.