Appreciation Letter: A letter of appreciation is a thank you letter used for different situations in offices or sometimes in school/colleges. It is a formal letter written by an employee to his seniors or managers for their support and achievement in a project.
An appreciation letter can also be written by school teachers to their students for good performance and scoring good marks in the exams. An employer can write an appreciation letter to his employee for great work done. It can be presented by his/her boss or manager for good service by an employee.
It is not just for the good work but also for the contribution an employee has made for his team or company, that he/she is appreciated. Hence, appreciation letters play an important role incorporate as well as in academics.
Get Other Types of Letter Writing like Formal, Informal and Different Types of Letter Writing Samples.
Types of Appreciation letter
There could be multiple reasons to write appreciation letters. Such as;
- To appreciate an employee for his good job
- To appreciate an employee for his contribution in the team and company
- To appreciate an employee for his promotion
- To appreciate a student for his good performance in exam
- To appreciate a student for achieving success in competitive exam
Appreciation Letter Format
To write an appreciation letter you should follow a certain format. As it is a formal letter, there should be a proper format of writing it and the same has to be followed. Also, we should keep in mind that the letter should be written in a polite manner. And the paper quality should be good if someone chooses to write the letter by hand or get it printed.
Address: The letter should have the writer’s address at the top left corner. The address should be correct for both the sender and receiver. It should be mentioned with proper city name, state and pin code. Maintain the space between address lines. Mention the designation of the recipient also.
- Date: The date of writing the letter should be mentioned always.
- Subject: The subject should be written mentioning the reason for writing the letter in brief.
- Salutation: Start the letter with a proper salutation like Dear or Mr./Ms./Mrs.
- Body: The body of the letter should consist of three paragraphs.
- Paragraph 1: Introduce yourself and mention the reason to write the letter
- Paragraph 2: Appreciate the person for his work
- Paragraph 3: Conclusion
- Gratitude: Express the gratitude with thank you
- Closure: The letter should be closed with “Yours Sincerely or Faithfully”, name and designation.
Appreciation Letter Samples
Here are some sample letters for appreciation for different situations which can be used as references.
Appreciation Letter for Contribution to Project
Appreciation Letter to an Employee
Appreciation Letter for Good Service
Appreciation Letter To Boss
An employee can also write an appreciation letter to his/her boss expressing gratitude for his support and guidance.
Student Appreciation Letter for Good Performance
A teacher can write an appreciation letter to his/her students for performing well in exams.
FAQ’s on Appreciation Letter
What is an appreciation letter?
A letter of appreciation is a thank you letter used for different situations in offices or sometimes in school/colleges. It is a formal letter written by an employee to his seniors or managers for their support and achievement in a project.
How to write an appreciation letter?
- Keep the letter short.
- Give the reason for writing the letter in subject line
- Address to a person properly
- Be polite in the letter
- Use formal words only
- Express the gratitude firmly
How to write an employee appreciation letter?
- Address the employee by name
- Express how thankful you are for his/her contribution to the company
- Write a line to look ahead for his/her bright future and work with him/her.
- Use formal words
- Sign the letter
- Be sincere
How to write an appreciation letter to a student?
- Congratulate the student for his/her performance
- Express how proud you are to have him/her as student
- Appreciate his/her hard work and dedication
- Ask his/her cooperation to guide other students to achieve the same success.
- Wish for his/her bright future ahead.
- Sign the letter by hand
How to appreciate good service?
- Write an appreciation letter to the company or service provider
- Appreciate for their good and quick service
- Let them know how happy you are to have them as partners
- Say kind words for their customer service
- Look forward to future