Advantages And Disadvantages Of Mobile Phones: Today everyone possesses a mobile phone, whether a billionaire, a hawker, a college-going student, or a kid in his teens. You cannot imagine your life without a mobile phone. Today, it is the best multimedia communication device. Earlier it was bulky and costly. It was considered a luxury, but today, it is a necessity. Today, people use it to make calls, messages, take photos, mail, make notes, set reminders, socialize, and entertainment. It is a small gadget with extraordinary features that makes it unique and of utmost importance.
Students can also find more Advantages and Disadvantages articles on events, persons, sports, technology, and many more.
When was Mobile Phone Discovered, and What are a Few Facts About The First Mobile Phone?
Mobile Phones are an essential form of communication today. It has several advantages for every age group. In 1973, John.F. Mitchell and Martin Cooper were the first to make a handheld cell phone. This cell phone was almost 1.5kg. After a few years, in 1979, Nippon Telegraph and Telephone launched the first cellular network in Japan.
A few facts about the first mobile phone:–
- Motorola was the first company to launch its mobile phone in the year 1983.
- Did you know that the first cell phone took 10 hours to charge it? But, the charge got over in merely 20 minutes.
- The name of the first handset was Dyna 8000x, and its price was 2lakh.
- First-generation technology was introduced in Japan in 1979, and in Finland, in 1991, the 2nd generation technology was introduced.
- 3G technology was introduced in 2001 after almost ten years of the 2nd Generation technology being launched.
Advantages Of Mobile Phones
- Communication: mobile phones are the most popular way of contact with friends, relatives, colleagues, and more. It is the best invention in terms of technology. It is the best way to socialize over a social network. One can chat over emails, messages, video calls, and over phone calls. Socializing and even working on the phone is possible using various apps.
- Portable and compact gear: using a mobile phone is simple, and as it is close, you can keep it anywhere and carry it everywhere with you. Carry it in your school bag, in your pocket, while traveling, everywhere you go. It always is available with a charger, and you can charge it if the battery gets low. You can charge it in any electrical plug point, even in your bike, scooter, and car.
- Entertainment: if you are bored, the mobile phone is the best way to keep yourself engaged. Get an internet pack and enjoy watching movies, playing games, and listening to music online. Listening to radio podcasts is also possible via phone. Watching your favorite web series on Amazon Prime and Netflix is possible using your mobile phone.
- Online classes and work from home: Today, educational centers conduct online classes for students in this pandemic. Not all have a computer or a laptop at home. Thus a mobile phone helps children do online courses. People are working from home after COVID 19. Therefore it is helpful for everyone in their different ways.
- Video calls, text messages, and calls: with the help of a mobile phone doing video calls, messaging friends, and making a call has become very convenient. Talk to anyone sitting in any corner of the world with your mobile phone. Whos who are far from their homes and are missing their family members can make video calls and feel at home. Texting allows the users to send messages to clients, family, colleagues within a fraction of a second. Calls, messages, and video calls are ways to stay connected with the outer world using your mobile phones.
- Shopping: today, with the changing times, it is not safe to go out shopping. But, you need not worry as with a mobile phone and internet connection everything is possible sitting at home. Shop for clothing, footwear, accessories, grocery, everything online using your mobile phone.
- Booking tickets, giving exams, filling forms: now, you don’t have to stand at the ticket counter to book a flight or a train ticket. Sit back at home and book your ticket using your cellphone. People can give online exams using a mobile phone. All those who want to take admissions in a school, college, or university can fill forms online and make their lives easier.
Disadvantages Of Mobile Phones
Mobile phones are an essential part of everyone’s life today. It is the best technology to stay connected with the rest of the world, your loved ones, your office, and your colleagues. But, as we all know, nothing in this world has only benefits attached to it, the same is the case with mobile phones. It also has some disadvantages attached to it. Let’s see a few below.
- Eyesight issues: one of the biggest problems of using a phone regularly is blurriness or bad eyesight. Today adults and children both cannot stay without their mobile phones. If they don’t use their phones for a few hours, they feel as if something is missing. Yes, it is true, significant usage of mobile phones worsens your eyesight. Watery eyes, eye pain, headache, eye strain, redness all are the causes of mobile use. Mobile phones send blue light and rays that cause redness and blurriness. Studies show that the blue light coming out from the phone causes macular degeneration.
- Isolation: People engrossed in using their mobile phones are not very social in their personal lives. They tend to like their own company and also like staying alone. They keep themselves engaged in their phone and do not spend time with family and friends. They love to remain in isolation.
- Mind is constantly distracted: when you are doing work, and your phone does not ring for an hour, the mind keeps getting distracted. The mind is not stable when the mobile phone is near and when it is far from you on a charge or switched off. If your phone is switched on in a public gathering and you keep getting calls, the mind also gets distracted. When you are in a meeting, and your phone is silent or in vibration mode, you also feel distracted and cannot concentrate on a meeting.
- Low battery: it is one of the significant disadvantages of a mobile phone. You need to keep your phone charged so that you can use it as per your requirement. You need to keep the charger near you to charge your phone. Every new model you buy, after a certain time, the battery keeps getting discharged more often.
- Work is never over even if you have taken a leave: when you are on leave, and your mobile phone is on, there are 100% chances that your boss or manager will call you for some work or the other. This is also one constant distraction that you will face when you are on leave. The workday does not end ever as reaching you is easy due to the availability of cell phones.
- People misuse the phone for taking pictures and videos: with the mobile phone, you never know who is recording your unofficial video or an image. People do this to blackmail other people and also sometimes just for mischief. Recorded videos and pictures can prove to be dangerous as they can be used in porn videos. People use it on social sites, people can make fake accounts, and all this has been possible due to the availability of mobile phones with everyone today.
Should Parents Give Their Kids A Cell Phone? Is It Beneficial To Them?
One of the primary reasons parents want to give their kids a mobile phone is that it helps them stay connected to them. If their child goes to the tuition, or at a friend’s place, they can keep in touch with their children via mobile phone. They prefer giving their child a phone with GPS tracking so that 24X7 they can keep track of their child’s location.
A phone is beneficial to the kids in completing their assignments, doing project work, and taking help from the net for certain extra classes. A cell phone is essential for clarifying doubts with their friends and teacher at school. Kids can set reminders on the phone for studying, for monthly tests and more. Parents can help schedule their kid’s timetable for learning, playing, watching tv, and a lot more on the phone itself. Though it is a small gadget, the kids must learn new things.
Conclusion on Advantages And Disadvantages Of Mobile Phones
A mobile phone is a requirement. One must use it in the same way. Do not make it your necessity, thinking you cannot live with it. It is one of the most innovative technical gadgets to keep yourself updated. But, always remember do not use it unnecessarily, as it can be extremely beneficial but can be dangerous for your health. Thus, use it in the best possible manner for your learning and development. Set your limits, as you very well know excess of anything is bad. In a nutshell, mobile phones have great importance, advantages and disadvantages for society.