Is Sugar Cane a Kharif or Rabi crop
Kharif Season Crops :
These crops are grown during the rainy season from the month of June to October, e.g., Paddy (rice), soyabean, Sugar cane.
Rabi Season Crops :
- These crops are grown during the winter reason from the month of November to April. e.g. wheat, gram, peas.
- Crop rotation can be defined as the practice of growing of different crops on a piece of land in a preplanned succession.
Difference between Kharif and Rabi crops
|Kharif crop/rainy season crop||Rabi crop/winter season crop|
|They are grown during monson/rainy season.||
They are grown during winter season
|They require warm and wet weather.||They require cold and dry weather|
|4||Examples : Rice, Jowar, Bajra, Cotton, Groundnut, Urad, Moong, etc.||
Examples : Wheat, Barley, Gram, Peas, Mustard, Potato etc.
Improvement in food resources can be classified into three steps –
- Crop Variety Improvement
- Crop Production Management
- Crop Protection Management
1. Crop Variety Improvement
This step is depends on a crop variety that can give a good yield.
A common way for getting a new variety having all desirable change is “Hybridization.”
Crops for high yield, should have following characters –
- Resisstance for biotic & abiotic factors.
- Resistance to disease & pests.
- Desirable agronomic characters like tallness is desirable for fodder crops & dwarfness is desirable for cereals.
2. Crop Production Management
Crop production management included practices which help in lomering of soil erosion., provide better facility for maximum utilization of nutrient, improve the fertility of soil enhance crop production.
3. Crop Protection Management
Field crops are affected by a large number of weeds, pestes disease which cause damage the crops & reduce their productivity.