What are the uses of Bases
Uses of Bases
1. Calcium Hydroxide (Slaked lime) [Ca(OH)2]
- It is used to neutralize the acidity in soils.
- It is an ingredient in whitewash and mortar.
- It is a component of the Bordeaux mixture used for protecting agricultural crops from pests.
- It is used in the preparation of dry mixes for painting and decorating.
2. Magnesium Hydroxide (Milk of magnesia) [Mg(OH)2]
- It is used as an antacid or a laxative. It helps to correct excess acidity in the stomach.
3. Sodium Hydroxide (Caustic soda) (NaOH)
- It is used in the manufacture of paper, textiles, and detergents.
- In homes, it is occasionally used to unblock drains.
- It is used in the manufacture of soaps and detergents.
Table lists some of the common bases and their uses.
|Base||Ammonia||Sodium hydroxide||Calcium hydroxide||Magnesium hydroxide||Aluminium oxide|
To prevent coagulation of latex
To neutralise acidity in soils
||To make antacids|
People also ask
- What is the definition of an acid and a base?
- What is the definition of an acid in chemistry?
- What is the definition of a base in chemistry?
- Classification of Acids
- Preparation of Acids
- What are the chemical properties of an acid?
- General Properties of Acids
- Uses of Acids
- Preparation of Bases
- General Properties of Bases
- What determines a Strong Base and a Weak Base
- How can we measure the strength of acids and alkalis?
- How to calculate concentration of acids and alkalis?
- How do you prepare a standard solution?
- What is meant by a neutralization reaction?
- How does titration determine concentration?
- Relationship between pH values and molarity of acids and alkalis
- Concept of the pH Scale
- Role of pH in everyday life
- What is the pH of a salt solution